Traffic Concerns regarding RT 72 Bay Bridges Project?
Summer Hiatus to begin July 24
The project purpose is to keep the Route 72 bridges and approach roadways in good condition so it can provide continuous, effective vehicular access to the Long Beach Island communities, maintain suitable coastal evacuation egress and maintain maritime passage in the Intracoastal Waterway during construction. Get connected with traffic updates here
The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) has developed the following list of goals and objectives to help refine each studied alternative that meets the purpose and need. These goals and objectives are additional considerations. These include other stakeholder interests including important environmental and social concerns.
- Minimize impacts to natural resources including temporary construction impacts.
- Reduce risks associated with sudden structural failure caused by natural or manmade threats.
- Provide pedestrian and bicycle compatibility.
- Minimize construction durations and protect workers and motorists in construction zones.
- Select an approach with affordable capital and life cycle costs.
- Target public access, stormwater management and environmental mitigation using watershed needs.